Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thai Food Challenge Day 01

This is day one for my 30 day challenge to eat street food for every meal. I started today with pathongko together with nam tao hoo (ปาท่องโก๋ น้ำเต้าหู้). This is sometimes translated as Chinese Doughnuts though it is shaped like an "X". The drink that comes with this deep fried dough is sweetened soy milk. This set cost me only 10 baht. This is not really a traditional Thai brekafast but as it is often sold early in the morning then many people eat it at this time. I bought it at a stall near my house and they usually sell out by 9 a.m.

For lunch I had one of my favourite street food. It is khao mun gai tod (ข้าวมันไก่ทอด) which is fried chicken on rice that has been boiled in chicken stock. It also comes with some soup. An alternative is to have boiled chicken which I will have another day. Normal price for this is 25 baht but I ordered "piset" which was 30 baht.

I bought my evening meal at the monthly Paknam Food Festival in Samut Prakan. It is called krapho pla (กระเพาะปลา) which is a thick soup that has fish stomach, boiled duck blood in cubes, bamboo shoots, chicken and quail eggs! It cost 30 baht. I don't normally eat this dish but I thought I shouldn't just stick to all my favourites in the first week!

I decided to finish the day off with a dessert called sangkaya fakthong (สังขยาฟักทอง). This is a pumpkin custard which cost only 25 Baht. It is good but it was very filling! So, I managed to survive my first full day of Thai street food. Today I spent 95 baht on food which is about US$3.70.

No comments:

Post a Comment

esarnfood@gmail.com